Most people that have the pleasure of knowing me will say there’s ONE thing they remember most about me. It’s that I’m always smiling or in a pleasant mood. Most people I know can count the number of times they’ve seen me upset. Unfortunately because I’m usually in a good mood, I can’t hide it for long if something is bothering me. I started writing because I wanted to spread some of my Joy to those that I won’t ever interact with or have the pleasure of knowing. So I brought out my brightest and best smile for this occasion.
A fellow writer sent me something interesting today, so I thought I’d play around with it and share it with you. Yes thanks to you happywappyblog here instructions were simple:
Rules for the party:
Close your eyes and remember the last time you felt happy, really happy; not the fake smile you give the world or use for the photographs. Now, one of two things will happen- either you will remember something that makes you smile and give your insides a happy lurch or you will feel like this is a pointless exercise and you will move on to the next post in your scroll feed.
If you belong to the first category: good. If you belong to the second category and are still reading, GREAT!!!! Now realize that we are all in the same boat putting in our best efforts to row it towards our pot of desires. But today the Happy Wappy World decided to make you reflect back and acknowledge how far you have come, and within 15 minutes of your precious, hectic, important time (Hey, it’s not money at least!). The idea is to slow down our lives a little bit and focus on all the positives so far. So grab a pen and a paper and write down 10 reasons why you consider your life happy. This list may include individuals that make your life worth living, or your accomplishments achieved after a lot of hard work, or things as random as food joints or your favorite chocolate. When you are done, this piece of paper will describe all the trials and testing times you have been through and how it was all worth it in the end.
While life has it’s ups and down, taking time to appreciate beauty and happy moments is a great way to prolong your life. So here are a few things I’m happy about.
This SMILE is owed to:
- My Mom, for raising me to be an honest person (and that’s doing so when no one is looking too). To know how to treat other’s with respect, to be kind and generous, yet not be a doormat. Plus my Mom is just all around AWESOME, it only took me 30+ years to realize that.
- The Marine Corps. I’ve learnt so many great lessons and so much of who I am is from my time there. While I do talk about it in the abstract (or sometimes refer to it as “In my former Life”) The Marines has been the catalyst to teaching me discipline, and to know my limits, and when it’s possible to overcome them or walk away.
- Friends along the way who have thought me to Love others despite their Political, Religious, or Sexual Preferences. I’m especially thankful to those of you who have helped shape my faith. Don’t want anyone to feel left out, so I’m not going to name any names here. But if you’ve ever gotten a “I’m thankful for you Letter or email” you know who you are.
- To the countless people who believed in me. Who gave me a chance, even though I may not have felt deserving, for pushing me to new limits.
- For a College Education, that was mostly FREE with some minor loans. While some days I may not always cherish my experience. It too along with the people I’ve met has shaped me into who I am today.
- For my family who supported and helped my mom and I to immigrate here to the U.S.
- This smile is also for you, my READERS. I know sometimes I could sound like I’m ranting, so thank you for listening.
- For Life long Friends like Nick and Sikhan. Who I know I can always call when I need help. Sorry Mandy and Caitlin if it’s late at night!
- For Living in California, where I can soak op the sunshine and fresh air anytime. Plus the beautiful spots I’ve found along the way
- This smile is for being able to find the good in situations and people. For not letting life keep me down.
I know I’m supposed to list 10 things, but I can’t have a list without also talking about my love for Techno Music (or EDM as the kids call it these days). There’s nothing quite like driving safely, but at an undisclosed speed, with the Beat just blasting. It doesn’t matter what my day was like, that can always bring a smile to my face #smiley.
Now that you’ve read what makes me HAPPY, it’s your turn, your next step is to spread the joy by sharing it. Remember, Sharing is caring! So go to your laptop (in case you are not on it), find a pic where you are happy and IN THE MOMENT and upload it with the list you made with the title- “This smile is owed to” on your blog / facebook accounts with the hash tag #mylifeishappy